NHS Sight Tests
Piccadilly Opticians Birmingham is contracted to provide sight tests funded by the NHS.
You qualify for a free NHS funded sight test if you are:
- Aged under 16, or aged under 19, and in full-time education
- Aged 60 or over
- Registered blind or partially sighted
- Diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
- Eligible for a NHS voucher
You are also entitled to a free NHS sight test if:
- You receive Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (not contribution based)
- You receive Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
- You receive Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- You are entitled to, or named on a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
- You are named on a NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC2)
At the end of your detailed sight test, we will discuss your requirements including any necessary visual correction; referrals or treatment you require.
The NHS sight test lasts about 30-minutes.
Please note: the NHS test does not include the high standard of investigation offered by our advanced eye examination. For your own peace of mind, we encourage you to upgrade to the advanced level of service for a minimal fee.
Other tests include:
- Checking eye muscle balances
- Eye movement co-ordination
- Pupil reactions to light
- Assessing eye pressure to check for peripheral vision